How lovely it is to sit down with Arabelle Taggart and hear her inspiring journey through Zumba® and Z Club NY. She says finding Z Club NY has been liberating for her.” She says that thanks to Z Club NY, she “now exercise[s] on a regular basis. This time for “ME” is invaluable!” Zumba® has rejuvenated her, and has helped her connect to her bubbly self again!… – by Yali Szulanski for Z Club NY.
What inspires you to succeed in class and in your life?
Luckily, I am extremely disciplined and very motivated. I am passionate about my profession . They say if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life- Its true! There is always a new tune or new move Edmee has , so its always challenging and fresh. I look forward to the classes and I always feel good afterwards so thats a great motivation. I used to bike a lot and last winter the weather was so restrictive to taking the bike out for a ride I got lazy . The great part about Aqua Zumba , rain or shine the class goes on ! There is no excuse for me not to attend!
What have you learned about yourself through taking classes at Z Club NY?
Its never too late to try something new and make time for the things you like to do !
When I first saw an Aqua Zumba Class, honestly I was intimidated by the moves and the music. I just couldn’t imagine myself being able to do it and thought i’d probably injure myself while trying it! How wrong I was! What I saw from the poolside is so different from what you do and how it feels in the water ! I remember googling Aqua Zumba and the first video that came up , a woman said
“Aqua Zumba is all about having fun in the water.” How right she was! I often think about that.
Its been an adjustment to do the classes with my work schedule. I soon realized that carving out that time for me has been really beneficial . I work just as well, if not better and my mind is in a better place for having “ Me “ time !
How did you come across Z Club NY and Zumba in general? What is your favorite part about Z Club NY?
I joined Complete Body. I went to swim laps one evening and Edmee was teaching a class . I joined in and I haven’t missed a class since! (Oops, no – I missed one as I had to go to a wedding!)
What is something unique about yourself that you’d like to share?
Umm well the Mermaids would call me a lot things !
Type “ A “ personality / over achiever would probably top of the list ! We laugh a lot over my obsession of having the “ right “ swimsuit, shoes , and hair products for the class . So i think I’d like to share my aqua Zumba product tips !
1) If your hair is already wet it won’t absorb so much chlorine water! So I always wet my hair before class . ( most mermaids manage to keep their hair dry so don’t panic reading this if you are about to try a class !)
2) I use “ Reflect “ H2O pre swim & sun protecting gel on the wet hair . It protects the hair from the chlorine . I then use a cheap plastic shower cap and polyester /spandex swim cap over it !
3) After class I use “ Swim Spray “ when showering as it eliminates the chlorine odor and irritation from hair and skin . It has vitamin C which seems to neutralize the chlorine . I have experimented with vitamin C on my own and don’t think we better mention that , but yes thats the key to getting out chlorine ! I always shampoo and condition my hair after class , after testing 100’s of products, typically the cheapest ended up being the best! I use Suave .
4) I also like “ Tri swim “ Body wash which removes the chlorine too .
5) Aqua shoes really help you move better in the class. I like The Speedo aqua shoes with a zipper closure. These run true to size and stay on well during class and they are really durable too . I have had mine 6 months and they are still in good shape .
6) I wear Speedo swimsuits and the Endurance line which is chlorine resistant last for ages . It’s best you wear a suit that lets you move around without everything falling out !
7 ) I always rinse my suit out after class so it lasts longer .
8) Even though you have just been in the water , don’t forget to Hydrate !
See , I told you I am a little over the top in the product department!